Newsletters from SPOHNC
News From SPOHNC, is a newsletter for cancer survivors, family, friends and health professionals. Timely articles help to increase awareness of the many ongoing issues related to oral and head and neck cancer while offering information, support and encouragement.
Past issues of News From SPOHNC are now available in PDF format (you will need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this files). Click on the date of the article to link to the PDF file for the corresponding issue of the newsletter.
The time needed to open the newsletter will depend on your internet connection - the file sizes for the newsletters range from approximately 100 - 500KB. A subscription to News From SPOHNC is included with your SPOHNC membership (Please see Membership on our Order Page for more information).
Newsletter Topic Categories
Diagnosis and Management of Oral and Head and Neck Cancer
- "An Oral Cancer Overview" - James J. Sciubba, DMD, PhD, April 2003.
- "A Patient's Guide to Tongue Cancer" - Louis B. Harrison, MD & Peter Han, MD, November 2005.
- "Cancer of the Thyroid" - Sanziana Roman, MD & Robert Udelsman, MD, March 2002.
- "Carcinoma of the Palate" - Mark Persky, MD, May 2005.
- "Carcinoma of the Tonsil and Oropharynx", September 2008.
- "Carotid Management in Head and Neck Surgery" - John M. Truelson, MD, Winter 2003.
- "Fast Neutron Radiotherapy for Salivary Gland Tumors" - George E. Laramore, PhD, MD, May 2002.
- “Fitting Treatment to Match the Patient Developing Biomarkers For Head and Neck Cancer” - David L. Schwartz, MD, November 2011.
- "Fine Needle Aspiration of Neck Masses" - Jonas T. Johnson, MD, September 2003.
- "Head and Neck Cancer Imaging" - Val J. Lowe, MD, February 2003.
- "Human Papillomavirus Infection & Oropharynx Cancer", April 2008.
- “Improved Treatments for Head and Neck Cancer and Quality of Life” - Theresa Tran, MD, Mark Persky, MD, February 2010.
- "Intraoperative Radiation Therapy for Head and Neck Cancer" - Kenneth Hu, M.D. and Louis B. Harrison, M.D., November 2006.
- "Laser Surgery For Cancer Of The Larynx (Voice Box)" - Eugene N. Myers, MD, Jonathan C. Smith, MD, Winter 2002.
- "Malignant Orbital tumors: Diagnosis, Treatment and Rehabilitation" - Daniel G. Deschler, MD, November 2000.
- "Management Alternatives for Base of Tongue Cancer" - Guy J. Petruzzelli, MD, September 2000.
- "Metastatic Cancer to the Neck from an Unknown Resource", October 2008.
- "Microvascular Reconstruction Following Removal of Head and Neck Cancer" - William Lydiatt, MD October 2003.
- "Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma" - Nancy Lee, MD & K. Kian Ang, MD, October 2001.
- "Novel Therapies in Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head and Neck" - Ezra E. W.Cohen, MD, December 2004.
- "Oral and head and Neck Cancer in Patients Under 45 Years of Age," - James J. Sciubba, DMD, PhD, May 2005
- "Organ Preservation Surgery: Is Total Removal Of The Larynx Always Needed After Radiation Failure?" - Gregory S. Weinstein, M.D., September 2001.
- "Patient Decision Making for Cancer of the Larynx" - Gregory T. Wolf, MD, March 2001.
- “Personalizing the Approach to Cancer Treatment” - David Sidransky, MD, February 2011.
- “Reconstruction of the Jaw Affected by Osteoradionecrosis” - Parul Sinha, M.B.B.S., M.S., John W. Werning, M.D., D.M.D, September 2010.
- "Reconstruction of the Tongue" - Eric Genden, M.D., F.A.C.S., March 2006.
- "Reconstructive Surgery For The Narrowing of the Throat Following Nonsurgical Therapy of Laryngopharyngeal Primary Cancers" - Mark L Urken, MD, FACS, October 2004.
- “Recurrent Head and Neck Cancer Treatment Options and Management Strategies” - Louis B. Harrison, MD, FASTRO, May 2010.
- "Reirradiation for Head And Neck Cancer," - Sharon Spencer, MD, November 2004.
- "Salivary Gland Cancers" - David W. Eisele, MD, November 2002.
- "Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy For Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Oral Cavity" - Thom R. Loree, MD, February 2005.
- "Sinus Malignancies" - Lisa T. Galati MD, November 2003.
- "Skin Cancer During Targeted Therapy", December 2009.
- "Soft Tissue Sarcomas of the Head and Neck" - Norman D. Bloom, MD, FACS, Summer 2001.
- “Surgeons Use Da Vinci Robot To Remove Cancers Of The Palate, Tongue, And Tonsils” - November 2010.
- "The When and Why of a Tracheotomy" - David P. Wolk, MD, Winter 2001.
"Virtual Endoscopy and Surgical Simulation for Head and Neck Cancer," - Marvin P.
Fried, MD, PACS, Babak Sadought, MD, Summer
Back to Top
- "Acupuncture for Head & Neck Cancer Patients", November 2007.
- “Advanced Radiation Therapy Techniques For Head And Neck Cancer” Swapna Manoj, M.S., M.D., Loren K. Mell, M.D., April 2010.
- "Boron Neutron Capture Therapy Holds the Promise for Recurrence of Head & Neck Cancer", December 2007.
- "Chemotherapy in The Treatment of Head and Neck Squamous Cell Cancer: Update 2006: Part I" - Su Hsien Lim, MD, Matthew Fury, MD, PhD, David G Pfister, MD, December 2006.
- "Chemotherapy, Squamous Cell Part II", February 2007.
- "Concomitant Chemotherapy as Curative and Organ Preserving Therapy for Advanced Head and Neck Cancer" - Everett E. Vokes, MD, April 2004.
- "Esophogeal Dilation in the Head & Neck Cancer", April 2007.
- "Fast Neutron Radiotherapy for Salivary Gland Tumors," George E. Laramore Ph.D., M.D., May 2002.
- "Genetic Basis for Head & Neck Cancer Development & Treatment" - Bhuvanesh Singh, MD, February 2002.
- "IMRT and Its Role in Head and Neck Cancer: A Summary" - T. Yang, MD, G. Ozyigit, MD, K.S. Chao, MD February 2004.
- "Lymphedema and the Head and Neck Cancer Patient", December 2007.
- "Photodynamic Therapy Treatment of Early Oral & Laryngeal Cancers", May 2009.
- "Precision-Oriented Radiotherapy for the Treatment of Head & Neck Cancer", May 2008.
- "Radiation Implants (Brachytherapy) for Head and Neck Cancer" - Bhadrassain Vikram, MD, November 2001.
- "Radiation Therapy of Head and Neck Tumors" - James R. Wong, MD & Edie Boschen, MA, RN, OCN, March 2000.
- "RADPLAT: A New Way to Treat Head and Neck Cancer" - K. Thomas Robbins, MD April 2000.
- "Rapic Arc Radiation Therapy", October 2009.
- "Reirradiation for Head and Neck Cancer," - Sharon Spencer, MD, November 2004.
- "Robotic Surgery for Cancer of the Larynx", February 2008.
- "Stereotactic Radiation and Head and Neck Cancer" - Kenneth S. Hu, MD, Eli E. Furhang, PhD, and Louis B. Harrison, MD, April 2001.
- "Targeted Therapy in Cancer Treatment" - Debra Wujcik, RN, MSN, AOCN, February 2006
- "Tomotherapy: Technological Advances In The Treatment of Head & Neck Cancer" - Peggy Wiederholt, R.N. & Paul Harari, M.D, February 2006.
- "Transoral Laser Microsurgery", October 2007.
Back to Top
- "Addictions and Cancer" - Todd Whitmer, February 2001.
- "Breaking the Silence in Sexuality", October 2007.
- “Cancer + Holidays = Stress”, December 2011.
- "Cancer and Spirituality" - Maxwell Travis, Winter, 2002.
- "Caretaking" - Joanne Fishman, PhD, March, 2002.
- "Climbing Out of the Black Hole: Coping with Depression Following Cancer Treatment," Janet McKiernan, RN, BSN, OCN; Christine M. Shea, MSSW, LMSW; Jill Solan, RN, MS, ANP, OCN; and Page Tolbert, LCSW, February 2005.
- "Common Emotional Disorders of Head and Neck Cancer" - Roger B. Granet, MD, November 2003.
- "Common Emotional Responses to Head & Neck Cancer", December 2007.
- "Communicating w/ Your Physician", September 2009.
- “Coping with Body Image Changes”, Michelle Cororve Fingeret, PhD, March 2011.
- "Denial: Is It Healthy or Unhealthy?" - P. R. Sachs, PhD, May 2003.
- "Deepening Your Spiritual Resources While Living With Cancer, Part I," - Kava Schafer, M. Div., September 2005.
- "Deepening Your Spiritual Resources While Living With Cancer, Part II," - Kava Schafer, M. Div., October 2005.
- "The Emotional Journey of Cancer & How to Develop A Cancer Survivor Kit", October 2008.
- "Fear of Recurrence and Resilience of the Human Spirit" - Roger B. Granet, MD, September 2002.
- "Ho-Ho-Ho-Uh, Oh. A Message For Caregivers" - Maryann Schacht, LCSW, BCD, Winter 2005.
- "Holiday Strategies for Family Caregivers" - Ken Faulkner, M. Div., Winter 2001.
- "How to Deal With the Depression Associated With Medical Problems" - Robert H. Phillips, Ph.D, March 2000.
- "The Impact of the Head & Neck Reconstruction on Quality of Life", March 2007.
- "The Journey of Cancer: Emotional & Physical Fatigue", October 2007.
- "Looking for Laughter in all the Wrong Places" - Scott Burton, April 2001.
- "Mind/Body Medicine: Keys to Survivorship" Ann Webster, PhD, December 2006.
- "Pacing Ourselves" - Randall Bosch, DVD. March 2001.
- “Pain Management for Patients with Head and Neck Cancers” - Roma Tickoo, M.D., MPH, May 2011.
- "Quality of Life & Psychosocial", December 2008.
- "A Review of Depression in Head and Neck Cancer" - William M. Lydiatt, M.D., September 2006.
- "Resiliency and Change: Keys to Managing Change Successfully", March 2008.
- "Sexuality and Sensuality for People with a History of Head and Neck Cancer" - Les Gallo-Silver, ACSW and Karrie Zampini, ACSW, April 2004.
- "Treating the Illness: Treating the Person" - Martin L. Rossman, MD, September 2003.
- "Understanding clinical trials from patients' perspective", September 2007.
- "Words That Heal" - M. K. Key, PhD, February 2003.
"Your Role as a Strengthened Ally" - Mitch G. Galant, PhD,
Back to Top
- "Advance Directives: Health Care Proxies" - Andrea S. Barber, Esq., April 2001.
- "Federal Employment Health Insurance Laws That Affect People Living with Cancer" - Barbara Ullman Schwerin, Esq., April 2003.
- "How to Get Your Medical Plan to Work for You" - Myrna L. Cortez, MSIR, April 2005.
- "Long Term Care Insurance for Special Risks - Cancer Survivors" - Vivian P. Gallo, CLU, CSA, February 2005.
- "Medicare Coverage of Dental Care following Radiation/Chemotherapy Treatment", May 2007.
- "Obtaining Disability Benefits Based on Head and Neck Cancer" - Scott Davis, Esq. October 2000.
- "Obtaining Disability Benefits...David Versus Goliath?" -Scott Davis, Esq., September 2000.
- "Update on Your Medical Coverage of Dental Services", September 2009.
Back to Top
- "Eat Right, Think Right: Maintain a Strong Body: Three Things Head and Neck Cancer Patients Can Do to Help Conquer Their Disease" - John O'Brien, MD, October 2002.
- "Nutritional Growth for Head & Neck Cancer Survivors", November 2008.
- "Nutritional Growth for the Head and Neck Cancer Survivors" - Jayne Wiprovnick, MS, RD, CDN, Winter 2000.
- "Nutrition Solution to Gain Strength And Re-Gain Quality Of Life," Tracy R. Smith, PhD, RD, LD, October 2003.
- "Nutritional Suggestions for a Better Recovery", November 2007.
- "Psychosocial and Nutritional Aspects of Head and Neck Cancer" - Jayne
MS, RD, CDN, November
Back to Top
- "A Vital Link: Oral Health During Cancer Therapies" (Head and Neck Radiation and/or Chemotherapy)," - Susan Calderbank, DMD, April 2006.
- "Dental Care For Patients Diagnosed With Oral And Head And Neck Cancer" - SPOHNC, March 2003.
- "MicroRNA in Human Saliva May Help Diagnose Oral Cancer", December 2009.
- "Oral Complications of Radiation Therapy: The Dentists Role" - Eric G. D'Hondt D.D.S., September 2004.
- "Oral Mucositis", March 2008.
- "Osteoradionecrosis Oral Health and Dental Treatment" - Daniel E. Jolly, DDS, Summer 2000.
- "Pretreatment Management of Oral Complications", November 2008.
- "Posttreatment Management of Oral Complications", December 2008.
- "The Effects of Hyperbaric Oxygen on Cancer Patients who have Received Radiation Therapy" - Robert E. Marx, DDS, FAAOMS, Summer 2002.
- "The Importance of Proper Dental Care for Head and Neck Cancer Patients" - Alan B. Sheiner, D.D.S.,
Back to Top
- "Acupuncture to Treat Xerostomia (Dry Mouth) in H & N Cancer Patients Following Radiation Therapy" - Richard C. Niemtzow, MD, PhD, MPH, February 2002.
- "Becoming Well Again Through...Managing Fatigue" - reprint from American Brain Tumor Association, March 2002.
- "Chemotherapy-Related Fatigue, Memory and Thinking Changes" - Stewart B. Fleishman, MD, Winter 2005.
- "Early & Late Side Effects of Radiation Therapy for Head and Neck Cancers" - Anand Sharma, MD and Bhadrasain Vikram, MD, Winter 2000.
- "Electrical Stimulation for Dysphagia" - Yorick Wijting, PT and Marcy Freed, SLP-CCC, March 2004.
- "Facial Lymphedema & Physical Therapy: What You Should Know" - Terrance A. McKeon, PT, CDT, May 2002.
- "Early & Late Side Effects of Radiation Therapy for Head & Neck Cancers." Anand Sharma, MD and Bhadrasain Vikram, MD, Winter 2000.
- "Head and Neck Cancer Survivors and Swallowing Disorders" - Bonnie M. Harris, Ph.D., May 2001.
- "Home Remedies for a Dry or Sore Mouth (Why & How to Use Them Correctly)" - Nancy Symonds, RDH. April 2002.
- “Introduction to Head and Neck Cancer Survivorship” - Sewanti Limaye, MD, October 2011.
- "Lingering Effects of Head and Neck Treatment" - Bruce H. Campbel, MD, Summer 2003.
- "Managing Fatigue During and After Treatment for Head and Neck Cancer" - Margorie Tierney, RN, Kathleen Shardeen, RN, March 2005.
- "Management Of Dysphagia In Patients Treated With Chemotherapy And Radiation Therapy As Part Of Organ Preservation" - Dennis Kraus, MD & Ryan C. Branski, Ph.D., October 2005.
- "Neck Dissections", February 2009.
- "Pain Management for Head and Neck Cancer" - Vivek T. Maholtra, MD, October 2004.
- "Physical Therapy and its Role in the Head & Neck Cancer Rehab", March 2009.
- "Posttreatment Issues in the Head & Neck Cancer Patient", November 2009.
- “Rehabilitation of Eating and Swallowing After Oral Head and Neck Cancer” - Nancy A. Hutchison, MD, March 2010.
- "Smoking Cessation Following Diagnosis of Head and Neck Cancer" - Jamie S. Ostroff, PhD, March 2003.
- "Speech and Swallowing Function After Treatment for Cancer of the Larynx" - Jan S. Lewin, PhD. Summer 2004.
- "Speech and Swallowing in Head And Neck Cancer" - Bernice K. Klaben, Ph.D. CCC/SLP, September 2005.
- "The Challenge of Eating When Your Treatment Involves Chemotherapy and Radiation" Mary Ellyn Witt, RN, MS, AOCN & Allison Dekker, RN, BSN, OCN, March 2005.
- "The Role of The Dental Hygienist in the Detection of Oral Cancer," - Stephanie Bossenberger-James, RDH, MS, May 2004.
- "The Role of Patient Education in the Rehabilitation of the Head and Neck Cancer Survivor" - Linda K. Clarke, MS, RN, CORLN, October 2000.
- "The Role of The Medical Oncologist In The Treatment of Head And Neck Cancer" - Bhoomi Mehrotra, MD, May 2006.
- "The Role of the Pathologist in the Care of the Head and Neck Cancer Patient: Understanding the Pathology Report," - John E. Fantasia, D.D.S., April 2005.
- "The Shaker Exercise: A Treatment for Dysphagic Patients" - Caryn Easterling, MS, CCC, Summer 2001.
"Understanding And Managing Head And Neck Lymphedema" - Bonnie B. Lasinski,
MA, PT, CLT-LANA, November
Back to Top
- "Cheng Receives Grant to Explore Possible Saliva Test for Oral Cancer", September 2009.
- "Evidence Based Research in the Head and Neck Cancer Patient" - Barbara Messing, MA, CCC-SLP, et al., Summer 2006.
- "Feeding Tubes and Head and Neck Cancer", April 2008.
- "FYI Vietnam Veterans, 'Agent Orange' and Cancer" - Tommy Hart, March 2001.
- "Head & Neck Cancer Rates Increase but Oral Cancer Increases due to HPV", November 2007.
- "Head and Neck Self-Exam" - Reprinted from the University of TX, MD Anderson Cancer Center, April 2002.
- “Health Care Advocates and Patient Navigators Who They Are and What They Do” - Elisabeth Schuler Russell, September 2011.
- "Increasing Awareness of Oral and Head and Neck Cancer" - Linda K. Clarke, MS, RN, CORLN, April 2002.
- "Innovations in the Treatment of Patients with Head & Neck Cancer", May 2007.
- "Integrative Medicine: Complimentary Therapies in Cancer Care", April 2009.
- "Noted Hopkins Scientist Says Research Indicates", March 2009.
- “Oral Cancers Much More Treatable When Caused by Virus” - Marshall Posner, MD, October 2010.
- “Recent Clinical Trials in Head and Neck Cancer, Jed M. Pollack, MD, December 2010.
- "Study May Help Head & Neck Cancer Patients find Relief from Dry Mouth", September 2007.
- "Study Shows Aspirin May Reduce the risk of Head & Neck Cancer", March 2007.
- "Swish and Spit" Test accurate for Cancer, March 2008.
- "Tissue Banking for Head and Neck Cancer" - Elizabeth Hammond, MD, October 2006.
- “Translational Research in Head and Neck Cancer: Bench-to-Bedside for Personalized Medicine” - Christine H. Chung, MD, April 2011.
Back to Top